The Global game 2, feb 12
What to expect in European football this weekend
Friday February 12, 2021
Uniquely among football columns, The Global Game is pan-European in scope. It brings you only the best predictions for fixtures across the continent (kick-off times all GMT). What you make of these tips is, of course, up to you! See table below for how last week’s predictions played out in reality.
Key: WNL = will not lose.
V = expect victory.
Friday February 12
1. Lafnitz 5.30 WNL – should resume progress towards promotion from Austrian Bundesliga 2 after long winter break.
2. Holstein Kiel 5.30 V – home team bidding to leave German second tier in opposite direction from visitors, basement club Wurzburger Kickers.
3. RB Leipzig 7.30 V – chance at home to lowly Augsburg for Germany’s second-placed side to rack up points whilst leaders Bayern Munich are away on World Club Cup duty.
Saturday February 13
4. Atletico Madrid 1 WNL – leaders of Spain’s La Liga will avoid defeat, at least, on trip to mid-table Granada.
5. Trabzonspor 1 V – serious about Super Lig commitments in Turkey since exiting European competition. Should coast past fading visitors Gaziantep.
6. Rangers 3 V – need to lift it after dropping points at last-placed Hamilton; will do so at home to struggling Kilmarnock.
7. Oxford Utd 3 WNL – expert tutelage of former Liverpool youth coach Karl Robinson now masterminding varsity club on second successive late run to League 1 playoffs. Wigan Athletic the fall guys.
8. Shakhtar Donetsk 3 V – Ukrainian nomads to come away from Kolos Kovalivka with yet another win.
9. Sevilla 3.15 V – visit of Huesca to Pizjuan fastness should yield three more points in race for Champions League qualification from La Liga.
10. Al Sadd 3.15 V – Qatari club managed by Barcelona legend Xavi now fielding Spain maestro Santi Cazorla in midfield, will swat away Al Ahli without fuss.
11. Paris Saint-Germain 4 V – putting wobbles behind them as Pochettino regime beds in, Nice to be crumbled like biscuits at Parc des Princes.
12. Red Bull Salzburg 4 WNL – Austrian branch of soft-drink franchise in effervescent mood for trip to Swarovski Tirol.
13. Manchester City 5.30 V – Pep’s juggernaut to roll on over Mourinho’s visiting Tottenham.
14. Slavia Prague 5.30 V – return to winning ways on cards for Czech league leaders at home to Pardubice.
15. Maccabi Tel Aviv 5.50 WNL – defending Israeli champions take long unbeaten run to lowly Hapoel Kfar Saba.
16. Milan 7.45 V – Serie A pace-setters should emerge unscathed from trip to minnows Spezia.
17. Barcelona 8 V – Alavés the latest sacrificial victims at Camp Nou shrine to cult of Messi.
18. Lyon 8 V – sagging soufflés Montpellier on menu in France’s gastronomic capital.
19. Porto 8.30 V – routine home assignment for Portuguese defending champions against Boavista side not enjoying view from near foot of table.
Sunday February 14
20. Monaco 12 V – tax haven club looking to file Euro qualification return from French Ligue 1, should be further in black after lowly Lorient come to inspect.
21. Brentford 1 V – romping through Championship, will see off visitors Barnsley with ease.
22. Manchester United 2 V – another of West Brom manager Big Sam Allardyce’s fingers to be prised loose from proud record of never suffering relegation as Premier League’s top travellers land at Hawthorns.
23. Young Boys 3 WNL – Swiss champions and runaway leaders to enjoy slalom to Lugano.
24. Lille 4 V – irresistible force setting pace in France meet eminently movable object of visiting Brest.
25. Galatasaray 4 V – just hit top in Turkey’s Super Lig, will collect another three points at home to mid-table Kasımpaşa.
26. Brugge 5.15 WNL – Belgian champions now in full pomp, to draw or better on trip to Sporting Charleroi.
27. Olympiakos 5.30 WNL – latest instalment of Greek arch-rivalry with Panathinaikos, should avoid tragedy of defeat.
28. Villarreal 8 WNL – take long unbeaten run into home Primera Division fixture against Real Betis.
Results from last week, Friday Feb 5 – Sunday Feb 7:
Vojvodina WNL Lost 1-0 x
Hamburg WNL Drew 3-3 ✓
Sporting Lisbon WNL Won 2-0 ✓
Benfica WNL Drew 0-0 ✓
Bayern Munich V Won 1-0 ✓
Lecce WNL Lost 2-1 x
RB Leipzig V Won 3-0 ✓
Brentford WNL Won 4-1 ✓
Pogon Szczecin WNL Won 1-0 ✓
Juventus WNL Won 2-0 ✓
Brugge WNL Won 2-0 ✓
Lyon WNL Won 3-0 ✓
Sevilla V Won 3-0 ✓
Ajax V PSTP N/A
Rangers V Drew 1-1 x
Red Star Belgrade V Won 3-1 ✓
PAOK V Drew 2-2 x
Milan V Won 4-0 ✓
Monaco WNL Won 4-3 ✓
Young Boys V Won 4-2 ✓
Slavia Prague V Drew 3-3 x
Olympiakos V Won 3-0 ✓
Lille WNL Won 2-0 ✓
Chelsea WNL Won 2-1 ✓
Barcelona V Won 3-2 ✓
Overall success rate = 19/24 or 79%